Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Nouns and "What's My Rule?"

Fun with nouns! Well--maybe. I guess it depends on your definition of fun.

While students were sharing their journal entries, I played a little game of "What's My Rule?" We do this in math class to help students recognize patterns. But it is a great grammar activity, too.

I wrote down words from the text as a student read aloud, and then the students had to try to guess the rule for the list. I started out with just nouns, but branched out into common nouns, proper nouns, and plural nouns. After I made each list, students gave the list a name based on the words that I chose. It was a fun way to reinforce nouns AND look at their role in the students' writing.

Each list turned out to be a little different! They led to some interesting discussions about how the content of the story is shaped by the nouns that students use. It was a quick way to show students how the abstract ideas of grammar translate into their everyday writing.

2 comments:

  1. This idea has so many possibilities. I'm trying it tomorrow. It immediately gets kids thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It worked out well. Over subsequent days, we added to our lists. I put them on chart paper so that we could keep them day to day. Next week, we'll try the same with adjectives!

    ReplyDelete