Monday, May 11, 2009

Yellow carpet


A few weeks ago, while crisscrossing between PA 94 and 194, we found a small area near the Conewago Creek just covered with marsh marigolds. They bloomed all around, forming a yellow carpet with their bright flowers and waxy leaves. What a neat place.


The quiet solitude of that place was something I thought of today as we worked feverishly to get our books done to share with kindergarteners. For the past several weeks, students have been working in groups to create their own versions of "Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See?" Tomorrow is deadline day--the day that we share. I know that I will dream about the laminator as I sleep tonight.


I felt like I was cheating during reading class today...students were working on their books, reading independently, or working on other assignments. Why did I feel like it was cheating? I didn't cover any content or put any objectives on the board. But there was real learning going on. Students have learned so much about working in a group, putting a project together, and using conventions.

No comments:

Post a Comment