Saturday, January 23, 2010

Summarizing Lesson

Long ago last May, when I was just getting started with this blog, I wrote about a lesson that I used to help students write summaries. The post can be found here. (Wow, my classroom looked much cleaner then!)

As I'm preparing for an upcoming workshop--and my own teaching next week--I decided to finally wrestle this lesson into an easy-to-implement product. Using the text "Learn about Light", students will sort ideas, figure out what's important, and write a summary. As I wrote last year, this is the best way that I've found to help students dive into a text to find the important ideas.

I've posted the lesson here. Feel free to download it and see how it works with your students! I'm curious to see if it will go differently with January fourth graders as opposed to May fourth graders.

No comments:

Post a Comment