Thursday, August 1, 2024

Classroom Organization Tips for the Start of the School Year

 

     Right now my classroom sits hooded in a mishmash of sheets and tablecloths covering boxes of books and other supplies. It is probably as organized as it will be all year! As I pull items out of the boxes and bring the room back to life, this is the time to think about my processes and try to streamline organization systems. 

      Recently a teacher on a Facebook group asked about the barest of essentials for classroom organization.  I don't like organization systems that take lots of money to buy and many hours to create. All too often I find that I don't end up sticking with them! Instead, I use a few easy to find items and customize them to my needs. Here are the three things that I find right away in the boxes to set my room up for success.

File crate with most needed files

     I have trouble with large paper sorters because papers go in and they don't come out. Instead, I like file folders in a paper crate. I use broad categories for the kinds of papers that I use again and again--for example, vocabulary progress pages. When I need specific packets or worksheets, I can rotate those folders out from my filing cabinet. (For example, I have folders made for each of my Summary and Analysis packets--I end up using them every year!)

Labeled drawers

    I love this little drawer unit! It helps me to put things back where they belong. The labels are just laminated Astro-Bright paper trimmed to fit, and written on with a wet erase marker. I change my mind about where to put things a lot! You will see the other classroom essentials on top: a Zenergy chime, perfect for getting students' attention, my red Swingline stapler, and two kinds of tape.

Beautiful succulents

Ok, while these are not strictly necessary, I do like having them in the classroom! They add to the general ambiance. Every year I find at least one student who really likes taking care of them. And sometimes students just like to go and stand by them! 


Just published: Bump Out puzzles for enrichment students in grades 1-2! These puzzles challenge students to find the item that doesn't belong. Kids love them and they lead to such great discussions.






No comments:

Post a Comment