Monday, June 10, 2013

Persuasive Writing: Introductions

For me, the 2012-2013 school year has come to a close. Now it's time to settle back into the routines and do what I've pushed aside during that frantic month of May--read some books, conquer Mt. Laundrymore, and do some writing.

In that month of May, my students and I focused on persuasive writing. What fun! We diagrammed examples of persuasive pieces, looked at how to craft strong persuasion, and wrote persuasive essays.

Because May is such a piecemeal month, full of interruptions, I needed materials that would help us to bridge the crazy times (band practice! field day! field trips!) and give students enough guidance to catch up when we had time. Here is what I created to help students work through writing introductions:





How did it go? We finished our essays three days before the end of the year. Whew! It was cutting things a little closer than I like, but we took a leisurely pace in the last two weeks and everything came out okay.

The rest of the persuasive writing materials can be found here. Enjoy these weeks of June!

No comments:

Post a Comment