Thursday, July 12, 2018

Classroom Decorating: Full Moon Mini-Posters

    As I think about how to decorate my classroom for the new school year, I want to keep the focus on decorations that are educational as well as decorative. That's one reason why I like to keep a list of Atlantic hurricane names for the year--this serves as an ongoing resource to keep us thinking about hurricanes.

    I also like to keep the dates of the full moons visible all year long. Last year, I made a set of Full Moons mini-posters so that we could always see where we were in the moon cycle. A student illustrated small moons that we attached to each poster after the full moon passed. This was a lovely way to mark the passage of time through the year!

   Of course I didn't take any photos of my posters last year, but you can peek at them next to my hurricane name list to the right.

    Some concepts are best taught over a long period of time instead of in a single lesson. By watching the pattern of the full moon through the year, students learned more about how the cycle works.

    You can make your own posters fairly easily. It would be a great first day activity for students! If you would like a prepared set, my posters are available FREE from TpT:

Full Moon Mini-Posters

No comments:

Post a Comment